[tlhIngan Hol] suffix {-jaj} with imperatives

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Jan 20 06:02:22 PST 2022

On 1/20/2022 8:20 AM, De'vID wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jan 2022 at 14:07, mayqel qunen'oS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     Does it make sense to use {-jaj} with imperatives?
>

> ghobe'.
>
>     Soj yItIvjaj
>     may you enjoy the food!
>
> {yI-}
> "A special set of prefixes is used for imperatives, that is, verbs
> giving commands. (TKD p.34)
>
> {-jaj}
> "This suffix is used to express a desire or wish on the part of the
> speaker that something take place in the future." (TKD p. 175)
>
> How can something be both a command and a wish?
> {Soj yItIv} "I command you to enjoy the food"
> {Soj DatIvjaj "I wish that you enjoy the food"
> *{Soj yItIvjaj} "I command I wish you to enjoy the food"? "I wish that
> I command that you enjoy the food"?
>
>     Although there's nothing grammatically wrong, something feels weird,
>     but I can't understand what it is exactly that seems strange.
>

> A sentence can be grammatically correct and also meaningless. What
> would a combination of {yI-} with {-jaj} mean?

I agree, imperative *-jaj* makes no sense. Furthermore, mayqel may be
misunderstanding /May you enjoy the food/ as an imperative. It's not;
it's a subjunctive. There's no reason to force Klingon into the
imperative to match the English, because the English is not in the
imperative mood.

/May you enjoy the food/ is simply *Soj DatIvjaj.* In English, it's
subjunctive; in Klingon, it's indicative, unless you want to call *-jaj*
the optative mood. Since *-jaj* is used on independent clauses and seems
to be incompatible with the imperative mood in Klingon, I think there's
a good argument to make that *-jaj* does, indeed, create a new mood in
Klingon. (There is a similar argument to be made that Klingon also has
an interrogative mood.)