[tlhIngan Hol] suffix {-jaj} with imperatives

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu Jan 20 05:49:21 PST 2022

Agreed. So, what is a wish? Basically, it’s a secular prayer.

Prayers and wishes are attempts to command God, the gods, or fate, or at the very least SUGGEST what it/they might cause to occur. Given the lack of feedback, you either think wishes or prayers to yourself or say them aloud to whomever might be listening, but the message is aimed at perhaps vaguely imaginary entities that cannot be directly experienced.

A command does the same to the person(s) or sentient animal(s) you are speaking to.

So, make up your mind whom you are speaking to. It doesn’t make rational sense to make the same suggestion to both gods and persons…

Unless your meaning is really special, like:

qoHvam chuS yItlheDmoHjaj jay'!

[Would Fate, some god, or any person who can hear this please make this noisy fool go away?]

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)