[tlhIngan Hol] tlhIngan Hol DajatlhtaHvIS nItlhejpu' 'Iv? / Counting conversant speakers

Iikka Hauhio fergusq at protonmail.com
Sun Apr 23 10:27:32 PDT 2023

The issue of fluency is interesting. I can speak somewhat fluently about many topics, but then I struggle with many other topics. Either because I don't know the words or because the words don't even exist in Klingon.

Since I have learned most from jawmeH qep, I can speak well about certain specific topics common for those meetings, but some other areas of vocabulary I simply don't use. For example, my knowledge of scifi and war terminology is embarassinly low since we don't talk about those things in the meetings even though they are central parts of the Klingon language.

The same applies of course to every other language I speak. I know Swedish well enough to attend university lectures in Swedish, but if you gave me a book of prose and asked me to translate it to Swedish, I probably couldn't. I can mostly talk about technical things in my field, since that is what I use the language for. I can understand Swedish prose, but I become unsure when I actually need to write it.

As a test of fluency, I was once suggested a survival test: can you survive in a foreign city using only their native language? Of course that is a very low bar to meet: you can often almost survive with gestures only. And there aren't any Klingon cities. But there are meetups where you can speak only Klingon. If you can live speaking only Klingon, and satisfiably express yourself to others, then your skill is high enough.

fergusq