[tlhIngan Hol] tlhIngan Hol DajatlhtaHvIS nItlhejpu' 'Iv? / Counting conversant speakers

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Sun Apr 23 23:27:43 PDT 2023

Am 23.04.2023 um 19:27 schrieb Iikka Hauhio:
> As a test of fluency, I was once suggested a survival test: can you survive in a foreign city using only their native language?

I have also heard of that kind of test, and that's the one I would like
to set as a counting method for "Klingon speakers", accepting that this
does not mean "perfect Klingon speakers".

If one is able to explain and/or understand a word by using other
existing words, I believe it counts as being a speaker.

I remember being in the US as an exchange student. I had had only two
years of English classes before. My English skills were surely below
being expert, but if there was a word I didn't know, people could
explain it to me. So per definition, I was a speaker, and even a
"fluent" speaker. But never on the level of a native speaker.

We should not forget that when counting Klingon speakers. Don't only
count those who are at 100%.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"