[tlhIngan Hol] tlhIngan Hol DajatlhtaHvIS nItlhejpu' 'Iv? / Counting conversant speakers

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Sun Apr 23 08:25:49 PDT 2023

The main problem here is: What does it mean to speak fluently?

I have noticed that even the most experienced, high-ranking Klingonists
I have ever met still have problems to catch up with the new vocabulary,
and even make mistakes with old words.

On the other hand, there are people who have just followed a year of
Duolingo and can easily make simple cdonversations.

So saying that, the number of speakers moves between your 20 up to
probably thousands. It's really hard to say. But what is for sure is
that the number has increased.

This could easily be checked by creating a level-test, but
unfortunately, the KLCP is absolutely out-of-date. It doesn't prove
anything.

Being an experienced speaker of foreign languages, I define being fluent
on a much ower level, and therefore accapt also beginners as being
called "speakers". From that point of view, my guess of "speakers" is
about one thousand. Don't forget the number of hidden speakers which we
will never meet because they live utside of Facebook and emails.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"