[tlhIngan Hol] placement of adverb

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 01:59:11 PDT 2023

On Thu, Apr 13, 2023 at 10:47 AM De'vID <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com> wrote:

> TKD 6.7 (add) says that "the adverbial precedes the object-verb-noun
>> construction". In the above example, {'e'} is the object of the verb
>> {Sov}, so I think it's correct. – Or did I forget something?
>>
>> I somehow feel there is a canon example for this (x not 'e'), but I just
>> can't remember.
>>

> {DuraS tuq tlhIngan yejquv patlh luDub 'e' reH lunIDtaH DuraS be'nI'pu'
> lurSa' be'etor je. ngoQvam luchavmeH ghawran maghpu' be'nI'pu'.}
> "The sisters of the House of Duras, Lursa and B'Etor, are constantly
> seeking a higher standing for the House of Duras within the Klingon High
> Council."
>
> Note that {reH} directly precedes {lunaHtaH} here, and not {luDub}. "By
> the book", the {reH} should have preceded the {'e'}, but {'e'} is not a
> typical object.

The Klingon wiki makes the following claim:
http://klingon.wiki/En/KlingonGrammarAddenda
<6.2.5. Sentences as Objects...
Adverbs with 'e' come after the object sentence and before the 'e', e.g.
paw Duj wej 'e' vIlegh "I haven't seen the ship arrive yet". [HQ v1n2p11]>

However, I'm unable to locate the reference. HolQeD 1:2 p.11 doesn't seem
to have this sentence:
http://klingonska.org/canon/1992-06-holqed-01-2.txt

It's possible that the sentence is from HolQeD, but that there's a typo in
the issue or page number. Unfortunately, HolQeD 1:2 and HolQeD 2:1 are two
of the issues that I don't have in printed form, so I can't check. Can
anyone else?

--
De'vID