[tlhIngan Hol] placement of adverb

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 01:47:31 PDT 2023

On Thu, Apr 13, 2023 at 9:49 AM Lieven L. Litaer via tlhIngan-Hol <
tlhingan-hol at lists.kli.org> wrote:

> I just noticed that a meaning of a sentence can change depending on
> where an adverb is placed. I'm not sure if there is a rule forbidding,
> or if there are even examples for that.
>
> See this:
>     {not bIQong 'e' vISov.}
>     "I know that you never sleep"
> vs.
>     {bIQong not 'e' vISov.}
>     "I never knew that you sleep."
>
> Can I do that?

Yes.

> TKD 6.7 (add) says that "the adverbial precedes the object-verb-noun
> construction". In the above example, {'e'} is the object of the verb
> {Sov}, so I think it's correct. – Or did I forget something?
>
> I somehow feel there is a canon example for this (x not 'e'), but I just
> can't remember.

{DuraS tuq tlhIngan yejquv patlh luDub 'e' reH lunIDtaH DuraS be'nI'pu'
lurSa' be'etor je. ngoQvam luchavmeH ghawran maghpu' be'nI'pu'.}
"The sisters of the House of Duras, Lursa and B'Etor, are constantly
seeking a higher standing for the House of Duras within the Klingon High
Council."

Note that {reH} directly precedes {lunaHtaH} here, and not {luDub}. "By the
book", the {reH} should have preceded the {'e'}, but {'e'} is not a typical
object.

--
De'vID