[tlhIngan Hol] Look what the vIghro' (or layyan, or taygher, or jeghwar) brought in.

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 21:41:54 PST 2022

On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 9:47 PM James Landau via tlhIngan-Hol <
tlhingan-hol at lists.kli.org> wrote:

> Many new words for animals, clothes, and food! We can talk about bees now,
> and we finally have a word for "Ukraine"! It's also nice to have a word for
> turtleneck, since that's what I always wear.
>
> http://klingon.wiki/En/NewWordsQepHom2022
>
> lachvoH  (bee hive) -- Backwards, this is *Hov chal*, starry sky. Perhaps
> the Beyhive (as in, Beyoncé & Co.) is a "sky full of stars"? Aside from
> *'ImtIy*, though, Marc Okrand doesn't seem to make puns about twenty-first
> century pop culture. Or else he would've made the word for "beaver"
> something like *nItsaj* or *da'ghet*.

MO has made more than a few puns that are apparently about semi-obscure recent
television shows (see: *qIr'a'*, *'obray'wal*, *'eQway*), but in this case
I suspect it's something more like:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beehive_Cluster, a star cluster known since
antiquity.

> waDwach (scarf) -- Backwards this is "chow down" -- the OTHER meaning of
> "scarf".

*maj. vIparHa'.*

I'm having trouble with some of the other new words so far, although while
we're on the subject of puns, here's one I found recently:
*rober* - axis. The Axis Powers in WWII were originally known as the
"Rome-Berlin Axis"