[tlhIngan Hol] conversation with Dr. Okrand about {tuQmoH}

Ed Bailey bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com
Sun May 22 11:44:52 PDT 2022

On Friday, May 20, 2022, Alan Anderson <qunchuy at alcaco.net> wrote:

> On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 12:19 PM De'vID <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> MO:
>> taking them off someone else.  Your sentence could perhaps mean something
>> like “For Maltz’s benefit, I’ve removed the belt (from me).”
>> [...]
>>
> MO:
>>

> This information is
> * new,
> * clearly explained, and
> * completely unexpected and unpredictable from prior knowledge.

But you were uncomfortable with using {tuQmoH} to mean "cause (someone) to
wear," right? That would not have conformed with the idiomatic meaning of
"put on," which didn't need {-'egh} to indicate dressing oneself. But there
was no certainty that {tuQmoH} always follows this idiom, so I'm glad for
the clarification.

I'm also glad to be reminded of {qogh tuQmoHHa'}, since I either forgot
about the unorthodox grammar in this idiom or missed it entirely.

~mIp'av