[tlhIngan Hol] conversation with Dr. Okrand about {tuQmoH}

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Sun May 22 15:33:58 PDT 2022

On Sun, May 22, 2022 at 2:44 PM Ed Bailey <bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com>
wrote:

> But you were uncomfortable with using {tuQmoH} to mean "cause (someone) to
> wear," right?

Based on the known meanings of the verb *tuQ* and the suffix *-moH*, and
with the example of *qawmoH* as a possible pattern, I was always completely
comfortable using *tuQmoH* that way.

If it weren't for the explicit "it always means 'on oneself'" usage note, I
would still be comfortable with that usage. After all, we have both the
made-from-parts *lo'+laH* *can use (something)* and the atomic *lo'laH* *be
valuable*, and we have both *ja'+chuq **confer, tell one another* and
*ja'chuq* *succession ritual*. So why not also admit the grammatically
justifiable interpretation of "cause (someone) to wear"? The answer turns
out to be something like "because it's always the subject doing the
wearing." For Klingon, fiat is still a valid way of defining usage.

-- ghunchu'wI'