[tlhIngan Hol] {je} "too" with doubly {-bogh}'ed nouns

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 05:57:41 PDT 2022

I’d like to help, but I’m not sure I understand the specific meaning of your English description of the alien so that I can move from the framework of the quirks of English color descriptions and the quirks of Klingon color descriptions.

In particular, are you describing an alien who is one color that could be classified as gray or as dark blue, or are you describing an alien who has different features, some of which are grey and others of which are dark blue?

If you are describing one color that could be called gray or dark blue, in Klingon, you’d probably choose black or blue as the base color, perhaps modified, and then compare the color to that of an object that has something close to the color you are seeking to convey to the mind of your listener/reader.

If you are describing an alien that has gray bits and dark blue bits, you’d be better off describing the colors and the bits than trying to glom them both together describing the whole alien. English lets you get away with using its wider palette of color words applied to a single entity than Klingon, which requires work just to describe one of the colors.

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)