[tlhIngan Hol] {je} "too" with doubly {-bogh}'ed nouns

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Jun 2 06:04:42 PDT 2022

On 6/2/2022 8:43 AM, D qunen'oS wrote:
> I want to say "that alien is dark blue and he's gray too".
>
> According to http:klingonska.org/ref/color.html
> <http://klingonska.org/ref/color.html>
>
> dark blue: {SuD 'ej Hurgh} or {SuD 'ach Hurgh}
> gray: {qIj 'ej wov} or {qIj 'ach wov}
>
> Now, my problem isn't to discuss colors in klingon (a subject which
> makes my stomach turn). The thing I'm wondering which is the subject
> of this post, is this:
>
> "That alien is dark blue and he's gray too".
>
> When I'll write the klingon constructions which we need to use to
> expess "gray", do I write the {je} "too" once or twice?
>
> SuD 'ej Hurgh nov, 'ej qIj 'ej wov je
> SuD 'ej Hurgh nov, 'ej qIj je 'ej wov je
>
> Which of the two is the grammatically correct choice?

I presume you're aiming for a single color that is a mixture of dark
blue and gray, not two separate parts of the alien that are,
respectively, dark blue and gray.

Don't start your translation using English terms. English color words
are too different from Klingon color words. Instead, start over,
describing the desired color using only Klingon terms. The color you're
trying for might be *SuD nov 'ej qIj* or *SuD nov 'ej qIj 'ach wov* or
something like that.