[tlhIngan Hol] using {ngan} as a suffix {ngan} as the suffix {-ngan}

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 17:38:16 PST 2022

On Thu, 27 Jan 2022 at 01:16, Iikka Hauhio <fergusq at protonmail.com> wrote:

> ghunchu'wI':
>
> No. Leaving out spaces is not what makes a compound noun “legitimate”.
> Being a common combination is what grants it its own dictionary entry.
> Things like {ropyaH qach} for “hospital” and {'Iw HIq} for “bloodwine” are
> lexicalized terms because they have a specific meaning when the words are
> used together, regardless of whether or not they remain separated by a
> space when used.
>

> You must have misunderstood me. *'Iw HIq* and *ropyaH qach *are
> lexicalized, I haven't denied that. Both compounds are included in a
> dictionary, so they both are legitimate (this is Okrand's definition of
> "legitimate"). My argument was that they should be written without space:
> in TKD Okrand says that legitimate copounds don't have a space.

You refer to these as "compounds", but I believe that this isn't correct by
the terminology used in TKD. These are both noun-noun constructions.

TKD gives us these examples of "compound nouns": "earthworm", "password",
{jolpa'}, {tIjwI'ghom}. In both English and Klingon, what they have in
common is that they are written without a space.

TKD gives us these examples of "noun-noun constructions'': {nuH[vam] pegh},
{jaghpu' yuQmey[Daq]}, {puqwI' qamDu'}, {nagh Dung[Daq]}. They are all
written with a space in between (and furthermore, the first noun can take a
suffix).

Your argument draws the wrong conclusion from the explanation in TKD of
what makes a "legitimate" compound noun. {'Iw HIq} and {ropyaH qach} are
written with a space in the dictionary because they are noun-noun
constructions, i.e., nouns which have been combined (to quote TKD section
3.4) "in the manner of a compound noun to produce a new construct even if
it is not a legitimate compound noun ('legitimate' in the sense that it
would be found in a dictionary)". The implied "legitimate compound nouns"
in this case are *{'IwHIq} and *{ropyaHqach}, which are *not* found in the
dictionary. {'Iw} and {HIq} have been combined in the *manner* of a
compound noun, but it's not a "legitimate" compound noun. Since TKD says
that "legitimate" compound nouns are written without a space, the correct
conclusion here should be that {'Iw HIq} (which is not a compound noun at
all, though it's constructed in the manner of one) should be written *with*
a space.

--
De'vID