[tlhIngan Hol] suffix {-jaj} with imperatives

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu Jan 20 18:40:36 PST 2022

While you speak eloquently about linguistic moods, I completely understand you and agree with you. I said nothing about the force with which one insists on things or with whatever authority. A witch commands a demon to curse someone. She is giving the demon instructions, just like me telling you, “Close the door,” which is imperative. Imperative mood.

If I say, “Curse my landlord!” given that I’m not saying it to anyone, but merely expressing a wish, I could see that as being linguistically different from a witch speaking to a demon, using the same words, definitely imperative. I’d be saying, “May it come to pass that my landlord be cursed!”, while the witch would be saying, “Hey! I’m talking to YOU. I want YOU to go curse my landlord. Cursing is your specialty, and I’m employing you to go do it."

That’s all I meant.

The witch isn't saying, “May this person be cursed,” which is not imperative, and is not addressed to any specific person. I think you say it’s subjunctive, and I’d agree.

It’s remarkable how often you correct me, insisting that I’m saying something different from you when I’m not.