[tlhIngan Hol] suffix {-jaj} with imperatives

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Jan 20 17:50:11 PST 2022

On 1/20/2022 8:09 PM, Will Martin wrote:
> Keep in mind that a witch is a fictitious character who lives in a
> world where communication with demons and spirits is on par with
> communication with a person, so the witch IS using the imperative
> because the witch commands the spirits. It’s not just a wish made
> vaguely toward the future. It’s a command toward a specific spirit.

No. "Imperative" has a specific grammatical meaning that has nothing to
do with the force with which you insist on things or the authority with
which you back up your demands. It is a grammatical mood. In English,
"imperative" goes along with "indicative," "interrogative,"
"conditional," and "subjunctive."

A humble worshiper of a deity saying, "Please, lord, tell me what to do"
has just spoken in the imperative mood. A witch telling a demon "You
will kill him" while pointing at a trussed-up victim has spoken in the
indicative mood. If you tell someone who has just sneezed "Bless you,"
you have spoken in the subjunctive mood. It has nothing to do with the
circumstances in which the words are uttered, who utters them, or
anything like that.