[tlhIngan Hol] difference between the nouns {Segh} and {mut}

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 05:39:57 PST 2022

On Thu, 27 Jan 2022 at 13:06, mayqel qunen'oS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can an American please explain to me, what the difference is between the
> noun {Segh} and the noun {mut}?
>
> According to Ca'Non:
>
> Segh (n) "race (type, sort, class)"
> mut (n) "species"
>
> In science fiction movies/series I've heard both "the survival of the
> human race" and "the survival of the human species", so I can't understand
> what's the difference between these two.
>
> Does an American "feel" any difference between these two words? And I ask
> for the opinion of Americans, because 'oqranD is an American too, so I'm
> trying to understand what he means by each of these two words.

I'm not an American, but {Segh} can be used for ships (the BoP poster has
{Segh: bI'rel tlharghDuj}) into addition to {tlhIngan Segh}, whereas {mut}
seems to refer only to biological organisms.

{tlhIngan Segh} has been used in canon to refer generally to Klingons, but
I would expect {tlhIngan mut} to be used only in scientific contexts.

--
De'vID