[tlhIngan Hol] difference between the nouns {Segh} and {mut}

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 05:09:50 PST 2022

qatlho', janSIy.

So, the "take home point" (as Americans say), is that if we say "the
human species", this confers a broader meaning than just saying "the
human race".

Also, we can say "the American Indian race", "the Black or African
American race", "the Native Hawaiian race", etc
(https://www.iowadatacenter.org/aboutdata/raceclassification).

But we can't say ""the European species", since a European can produce
offspring with American Indian.

So, perhaps, the more accurate would be "the survival of the human
species", while saying "the survival of the human race" can mean
exactly the same, but perhaps it has the added flavor, that in the end
we're all one people, needing to put aside any racial conflicts.

Or to put all this in context.. There's a spaceship carrying the last
10000 humans who survived a nuclear holocaust. The ship has just left
earth, so the captain stands before them in order to give a
motivational speech.

If the captain says: "We must fight to ensure the survival of the
human species", then he's being 100% accurate.

But if he says "We must fight to ensure the survival of the human
race", then he essentially gives the flavor of "listen morons, there's
no black and white, no skin color; we're in the shit together, so shut
up and accept each other, or humanity takes the finger".

Unless someone disagrees with the above, that's how I'll be using
{Segh}/{mut} from now on.

--
Dana'an
https://sacredtextsinklingon.wordpress.com/