[tlhIngan Hol] difference between the nouns {Segh} and {mut}

janSIy . kenjutsuka at live.com
Thu Jan 27 04:27:53 PST 2022

{Segh} can be used for classification, categorization, and sorting by any quality including superficial qualities like color, shape, or texture. When applied to beings, species is also a {Segh}. More often {Segh} is a subcategory of Species, but sometimes it is used for a category broader than species (like Genus).

{mut} is a genetic classification indicating that all in the group are capable of interbreeding. English speakers do sometimes use the terms "race" and "species" interchangeably, but I suspect Klingons are a little more scientific about {mut} than about {Segh}. But the whole thing is even more complicated by the ability in Star Trek for aliens to interbreed with eachother and with humans.

Jeremy