[tlhIngan Hol] using {ngan} as a suffix {ngan} as the suffix {-ngan}

Iikka Hauhio fergusq at protonmail.com
Wed Jan 26 16:16:05 PST 2022

ghunchu'wI':

> No. Leaving out spaces is not what makes a compound noun “legitimate”. Being a common combination is what grants it its own dictionary entry. Things like {ropyaH qach} for “hospital” and {'Iw HIq} for “bloodwine” are lexicalized terms because they have a specific meaning when the words are used together, regardless of whether or not they remain separated by a space when used.

You must have misunderstood me. 'Iw HIq and ropyaH qach are lexicalized, I haven't denied that. Both compounds are included in a dictionary, so they both are legitimate (this is Okrand's definition of "legitimate"). My argument was that they should be written without space: in TKD Okrand says that legitimate copounds don't have a space.

ghunchu'wI':

> I will be generous and assume you’re not just arguing to be contrary, but instead are basing your arguments on a non-native-English misinterpretation of things that are clearly understood by native speakers of English. In which case I suggest that you cease projecting your mistaken ideas onto what native English speakers are saying, and just read and accept their words without twisting them to fit your preconceptions.

Please don't assume anything. You clearly didn't understand me, so I might as well say that you can't understand it because your native language is English. Please just accept what I say. That is what you sound like.

SuStel:

> You're saying that the current usage is not consistent. I completely agree. There are examples of compound nouns I wouldn't expect to be compounded, and examples of noun-nouns that I could easily imagine being compounded.
>
> You're saying there are possible ways to write consistently. Again, I agree. We could make up our own rules to cover all situations. And wedohave our own rules: we have developed a convention whereby we do not invent our own compounds, and any genitive nouns get a space before their head nouns; only Okrand can invent compounds. It's not always consistent with what Okrand has done, but as you AND Okrand both admit, Okrand himself hasn't been consistent.

Great that we agree. There doesn't seem to be any dispute between us anymore.

Iikka "fergusq" Hauhio