[tlhIngan Hol] "Seasons of Love" in Klingon / And two grammatical questions

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu Jan 6 07:13:11 PST 2022

I’d like a clarification. I sometimes have false memories, so I won’t assume that my memory that {HochHom X} would be plural (more than half of whole 0items in the group of items called X) and {X HochHom} would be singular (more than half of one item called X). When before the noun, I thought {HochHom} behaved grammatically like a number, and when following the noun, it acted more like a second noun in a noun-noun construction. I thought that {Hoch} worked the same way.

I’m guessing this is similar to numbers in general, since {vagh X} is five Xs, but {X vagh} is a specific item from a group of items called {X}, so that numbers indicate degree of plurality when preceding nouns, and describe a specific, singular noun when they follow it.

Again, I can’t cite any canon. I’m not getting all puffed up and righteous about this or seeking conflict or challenging authority. I just thought I understood how this works, and I see a description that doesn’t fit what I thought I understood.

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)