[tlhIngan Hol] Time elements and *qaStaHvIS*, continuous and perfective aspect

luis.chaparro at web.de luis.chaparro at web.de
Mon Feb 28 09:41:07 PST 2022

SuStel:

> wa'leS rep wa'maH loS jISoppu'; ghIq juH vIjaHpu' means that I'm looking forward to tomorrow, where there will be a point at which I can look back at 2 pm and see that that's when I ate and then subsequently went home. In English, this is only expressed with the future perfect: Tomorrow at 2 pm I will have eaten, and then I will have gone home.

I understand it. I was just wondering if there could be another interpretation beyond English grammar, since Klingon doesn't express perfect, but it does express perfective. So I was thinking maybe it could be possible to interpret it *also* as a future counterpart of *I ate at 2 p.m. and then I went home*, with the same aspectual implications but in the future (actions considered as a completed whole, not expressing its internal structure and not being perfect). (Although it's not exactly the same, I was led to these questions because Future Simple in Spanish is said by some linguists to be able to express imperfective and perfective aspects, depending on the situation). But if you say that's not the case in Klingon, then my question is answered.

>> By the way: if we were talking about an habit, *I ate at 2 p.m. and then I went home* would be *rep wa'maH loS jISop, ghIq juH vIjaH*, right?
> I ate at 2 pm, and then I went home is only a habit if it means "It was my habit to eat at 2 pm and then go home." If that is what you mean, then rep wa'maH loS jISop; ghIq juH vIjaH is correct, although it lacks any indication that thsi is a habit or in the past.

Yes, I know, sorry. I was just focusing on the question and that's why I left aside any concrete indications in the examples.