[tlhIngan Hol] clipped klingon formal or informal

Iikka Hauhio fergusq at protonmail.com
Wed Feb 16 05:22:46 PST 2022

Clipped Klingon is used frequently in songs, including the canon Qoy qeylIS puqloD. Chanting is similar to a song, so it seems appropriate to use Clipped Klingon in order to make the text have a correct rhythm.

One thing to note is that Clipped Klingon is presumably a form of spoken language, used to make speaking easier (eg. in hurry, or while excited and not concentrating on speaking). If the ritual is written in advance, it might not use Clipped Klingon, simply because there is no need, unless there is a rhythm or similar reason.

> Although I'm not quite sure about the meaning of the word "excitement" in English. In Greek we use it for something good. For example excitement for an upcoming trip, excitement for a new date, excitement for a new well paying job. Is it the same in English too?

"Excited" has also the sexual meaning. I'm not sure if it applies here, but it is a constant source of confusion for me, especially when reading texts that use the Klingon word Sey'. I hope Okrand clarifies that. It's unfortunate that the suggestion "be horny" is currently so down-voted at chabal tetlh.

Iikka "fergusq" Hauhio