[tlhIngan Hol] {-Daq} and {-bogh} and {Sumbogh} and {Hopbogh}

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 04:10:15 PST 2022

However, we *can* say {tawDaq Sumbogh Ha'DIbaH vIlegh}. And here we'd have
two possible meanings:

(Although I'm not sure if the relative clause is the entire {tawDaq Sumbogh
Ha'DIbaH} or just the {Sumbogh Ha'DIbaH}).

1. "I see the animal which is near the street". Meaning "I see an animal,
and that animal is near the street".

2. "I see at the street the animal which is near". Meaning "I'm at the
street, and while I'm there, I see the animal which is near". Near where?
Near me (because of the deixis crap which governs the use of {Sum} and
{Hop}).

And I don't know why, but I get the impression that case number 2 is an
exception to the "rule" that the subject of {Sum}/{Hop} is whatever is
being near/far the {-Daq}ed noun.

--
Dana'an
https://sacredtextsinklingon.wordpress.com/