[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: mIw

Ed Bailey bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 21:24:06 PDT 2022

Some more related words:

Deryat (n) program, agenda, schedule
Ho'DoS (n) system, method, manner, technique
tonSaw' (n) fighting technique
Dup (n) strategy
to' (n) tactics
toyDal (n) tactic
mem (n) catalog
tetlh (n) roll, list, scroll (not the writing surface)
ghu'lIS (n) item in a list
natlIS (n) last item in a list
paghDIch (num) zeroth (about something that has not occurred) [as in {mIw
paghDIch}]
buv (n) classification
buv (v) classify
jop (v) take a turn
veb (v) be next (in a series, sequence)
vorgh (v) be previous

latlh bochellaHba'.

~mIp'av

On Tuesday, August 23, 2022, Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu> wrote:
> Klingon word:   mIw
> Part of speech:         noun
> Definition:     step, stage (in a process)
>
> procedure,  process (TKD)
> step, stage (in a process) (KGT)
> recipe, formula (n) (qep’a’ 2019)
> procedure (i.e. subroutine, a re-usable piece of frequently repeated code
which
>             performs some operation) (Klingon Blockly computer language)
>
> 'oy'naQ DaQeqDI' mIw wa'DIch Data', 'ach 'oy'naQ Dachu'DI' mIw paghDIch
Data'
> When you aim the painstik, you accomplish the first step, but when you
turn the painstik on, you accomplish the zeroth step. (KGT)

> ["The implication here is that activating the painstik must be done
before beginning the ritualistic part of the ceremony." (KGT 177)]

> 'oy'naQ Dachu'Ha'DI' mIw HochDIch Data'
> When you turn the painstik off, you accomplish the last step." (KGT)
>
> buQwI'vam 'omlu'meH wa' mIw tu'lu'
> There is one way to confront this threat. (DSC "The Vulcan Hello")
>
> (qep’a’ 2019):  This [{mIw}] is generally used for this [recipe,
formula], but step-by-step instructions can also be referred to as
{HIl'aD}. The word for ingredient is {qurme'}, so if a "formula" is the
list of the ingredients of something (like a secret formula for the special
sauce on a Big Mac), that's {qurme'mey}.

> (Lieven and Marc Okrand, 3/22/2021):
>    LL:  "therapy" - In the sense of "a procedure to heal somebody". I'm
confused that I'm not finding anything. Of course I could say {rachmeH
mIw}, but maybe there's an option? The sentence is something like using a
name "The Dr-Maltz-Therapy will be successful" but also describing the
method: "We present to you the fluoride-therapy." or "the magnetic therapy"
or "ultraviolet light therapy" and so on.
>    MO:  Perhaps you can just go with {X mIw}, where X is fluoride,
magnet, ultraviolet light, etc., as long as it will always be clear from
context that {mIw} refers to a health/therapeutic procedure or treatment.
If context isn't enough to make things clear, then I'll bother Maltz some
more.
>    LL:  This could be confusing with the existing word {porgh mIw},
whatever that could be.
>    MO:  I don't know what "body therapy" would be either, but I do see
how {porgh mIw} could make this confusing. So instead of using {mIw}, go
with {yI'var} "treatment, therapy."