[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: mIw

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Aug 23 07:57:10 PDT 2022

Klingon word: 	mIw
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	step, stage (in a process)

procedure,  process (TKD)
step, stage (in a process) (KGT)
recipe, formula (n) (qep’a’ 2019)
procedure (i.e. subroutine, a re-usable piece of frequently repeated code which
            performs some operation) (Klingon Blockly computer language)

'oy'naQ DaQeqDI' mIw wa'DIch Data', 'ach 'oy'naQ Dachu'DI' mIw paghDIch Data'
When you aim the painstik, you accomplish the first step, but when you turn the painstik on, you accomplish the zeroth step. (KGT)

["The implication here is that activating the painstik must be done before beginning the ritualistic part of the ceremony." (KGT 177)]

'oy'naQ Dachu'Ha'DI' mIw HochDIch Data'
When you turn the painstik off, you accomplish the last step." (KGT)

buQwI'vam 'omlu'meH wa' mIw tu'lu'
There is one way to confront this threat. (DSC "The Vulcan Hello")

(qep’a’ 2019):  This [{mIw}] is generally used for this [recipe, formula], but step-by-step instructions can also be referred to as {HIl'aD}. The word for ingredient is {qurme'}, so if a "formula" is the list of the ingredients of something (like a secret formula for the special sauce on a Big Mac), that's {qurme'mey}.

(Lieven and Marc Okrand, 3/22/2021):
   LL: 	"therapy" - In the sense of "a procedure to heal somebody". I'm confused that I'm not finding anything. Of course I could say {rachmeH mIw}, but maybe there's an option? The sentence is something like using a name "The Dr-Maltz-Therapy will be successful" but also describing the method: "We present to you the fluoride-therapy." or "the magnetic therapy" or "ultraviolet light therapy" and so on.
   MO: 	Perhaps you can just go with {X mIw}, where X is fluoride, magnet, ultraviolet light, etc., as long as it will always be clear from context that {mIw} refers to a health/therapeutic procedure or treatment. If context isn't enough to make things clear, then I'll bother Maltz some more.
   LL: 	This could be confusing with the existing word {porgh mIw}, whatever that could be.
   MO: 	I don't know what "body therapy" would be either, but I do see how {porgh mIw} could make this confusing. So instead of using {mIw}, go with {yI'var} "treatment, therapy."

SEE:
*De'wI' mIw 		computer program (Mailing List)
ghojmeH mIw 		lesson
mIwba’  		trial (n) (Klingon Alice)
porgh mIw 		bodily function (HQ 12.4)

SEE ALSO:
jey 			itinerary (n)
jInmol 			project (n)
nab 			plan (n)
HIl'aD  			step-by-step instructions (n) (qep’a’ 2019)

tagh 			begin a process (v)
ghun  			program (a computer) (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last