[tlhIngan Hol] 'elaDya' Hol 'eSpanya' Hol je (Beginner's text and questions)

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Sep 16 12:50:28 PDT 2021

On 9/16/2021 3:38 PM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:

> To find more on what we know on apposition, see the page on the wiki:
> http://klingon.wiki/En/Apposition

I see that you have /just/ edited that page, so I'm not going to try any
edits now, but the entire section there about "appositions on *-wI'*
nouns" is wrong. It claims that phrases like *DIr QanwI' taS, wab labwI'
jan,* and *QaDmoHwI' DIr* are examples of apposition because they
clarify what kind of thing the *-wI'* noun is. That is not what
apposition is.

Apposition is when two proximate noun phrases provide /independent/
descriptions or names of a thing. *DIr QanwI' taS* does not mean /a skin
protector, a solution;/ it means /a solution of the skin-protector
type./ That is genitive and Klingon indicates the genitive through the
noun-noun construction. It isn't apposition. *DIr QanwI' taS, wab labwI'
jan,* and *QaDmoHwI' DIr* are all examples of the genitive noun-noun
construction.