[tlhIngan Hol] expressing "text" expressing "passage"

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 05:03:41 PDT 2021

SuStel:
> In English, manuscript can mean a handwritten text,
> as opposed to a typescript, or it can mean any text by an author prior to publication.

Interesting; I didn't know that the English "manuscript" can include
too the "any text by an author prior to publication" meaning. Being
influenced by Greek, I thought of the "manuscript" as a handwritten
text on a paper, scroll, parchment, etc..

SuStel:
> I don't think we're told which meaning ghItlh has.

I think that the noun {ghItlh} has the meaning of "handwritten text on
a paper, scroll, parchment", because of the sentence {ghItlh
vIghItlhta'bogh DalaD'a'?}.

Since the verb {ghItlh} means "engrave, incise, mark (upon), write",
then when this verb has the noun {ghItlh} as an object, then
seemingly/apparently the noun {ghItlh} must be something physical
(e.g. paper, scroll, parchment, etc..). I'd understand the noun
{ghItlh} as something referring to the text, if the above Ca'Non
sentence was instead {ghItlh vIqonta'bogh DalaD'a'?}.

On the other hand though, one could say that in the {ghItlh
vIghItlhta'bogh DalaD'a'?} the listener is asked to read the text, not
the physical medium on which the text is written.

So go figure..

--
Dana'an
https://sacredtextsinklingon.wordpress.com/