[tlhIngan Hol] expressing "text" expressing "passage"

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Oct 12 06:04:03 PDT 2021

On 10/12/2021 8:03 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> I think that the noun {ghItlh} has the meaning of "handwritten text on
> a paper, scroll, parchment", because of the sentence {ghItlh
> vIghItlhta'bogh DalaD'a'?}.
>
> Since the verb {ghItlh} means "engrave, incise, mark (upon), write",
> then when this verb has the noun {ghItlh} as an object, then
> seemingly/apparently the noun {ghItlh} must be something physical
> (e.g. paper, scroll, parchment, etc..). I'd understand the noun
> {ghItlh} as something referring to the text, if the above Ca'Non
> sentence was instead {ghItlh vIqonta'bogh DalaD'a'?}.

Two things here. First, while the sentence *ghItlh vIghItlhta'bogh
DalaD'a'* does suggest that the *ghItlh* being asked about is physical,
that doesn't prove that every *ghItlh* must be physical. I agree that
the verb and the noun being the same is strongly suggestive, but that
isn't /proof./ We say we /write/ when we type into our computers, after
all, and we call the results of these actions /documents./ I don't know
how far the word *ghItlh* stretches.

Second, we must remember that when *ghItlh vIghItlhta'bogh DalaD'a'* was
written Okrand hadn't yet come up with the notion that *qon* was used
for composition. (If he had, he left no evidence of this.) So we have to
read the sentence with a little sensitivity to its intended meaning, and
not jump too quickly to the conclusion that he was absolutely not
talking about composition. By the later rule this sentence might be used
for /Will you read my printout?/