[tlhIngan Hol] expressing "text" expressing "passage"

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Oct 11 10:33:24 PDT 2021

On 10/10/2021 7:00 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> We have the {mu'tlhegh meS} for "paragraph".
> It just came to me, that perhaps we could say {mu'tlhegh meSmey mIr}
> "a chain of paragraphs", and/or {mu'tlhegh meSmey tlhegh} "a line of
> paragraphs" in order to express "text" /"passage".
> Perhaps we could even say {mu'tlhegh meSmey cho'} "a succession of
> paragraphs", or {mu'tlhegh meSmey tlhoQ} "a conglomeration of
> paragraphs".
> Although I'm not quite sure for the last two, since perhaps the {cho'}
> is to be used only for successions of emperors, chancellors, etc, and
> as far as the {tlhoQ} is concerned, if I said that I truly understand
> the meaning of the english "conglomeration" I'd be lying.
> And because I know what someone is perhaps ready to say.. No,
> "manuscript" isn't the same as "text" or "passage". At least in greek
> it isn't, and here is where the {ghIlth} "manuscript" choice goes out
> the window.
> Or is "out of the window"? Oh, well..

In English, /manuscript/ can mean a handwritten text, as opposed to a 
typescript, or it can mean any text by an author prior to publication. I 
don't think we're told which meaning *ghItlh* has.

Lacking a general word for /passage of text,/ I would look at more 
specific words for more specific situations. *mu'mey, mu'tlheghmey, 
paQDI'norgh, ghantoH, HIl'aD, lut, lut 'ay',* and so on.

We usually say /out the window./ If you say /out of the window,/ it will 
sound a bit stilted, but not wrong.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.kli.org/pipermail/tlhingan-hol-kli.org/attachments/20211011/1dc07320/attachment-0002.htm>

More information about the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list