[tlhIngan Hol] one of the earliest sentences translated into Klingon

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Nov 26 07:43:47 PST 2021

On 11/26/2021 8:27 AM, De'vID wrote:
> Years ago, Marc Okrand told me that when he was working on Star Trek
> III, before he got the final script with the lines he was supposed to
> translate into Klingon, he picked a number of lines from TOS episodes
> mostly involving Klingons, to have examples of the sorts of things he
> might be expected to translate. While working on developing the
> language, he translated these lines into Klingon to test out his
> ideas. (Since he likes to tell the same stories over and over again,
> maybe there's a recording of him telling this story.)
>
> He didn't explicitly say which lines, but he provided enough
> information for me to work out one of them, namely the following line
> from "Friday's Child": "The rare mineral topaline, vital to the
> life-support system of planetoid colonies, has been discovered in
> abundance here." You'll notice that every single word needed to
> translate this sentence is in TKD ("no bloody A..."), and in
> particular, the word {toplIn} appears in no other TOS episode.

I'm familiar with the story. I don't think the presence of the word
*toplIn* points to that sentence being something he translated. He also
gave us words for /kevas, t//rillium, radan,/ not because he necessarily
translated lines, but because he took all the made-up Star Trekky
foreign words and gave them Klingon equivalents.

That said, if I were translating the line using only TKD and no post-TKD
clarifications (like the fact that *law'* doesn't work for uncountable
nouns), I might do it like this:

*tlhIl qub 'oH toplIn'e'. yuQHom mID yIntaghvaD potlh. naDev toplIn law'
tu'lu'.*

Nowadays, of course, I'd use *vItlh* instead of *law'.*