[tlhIngan Hol] one of the earliest sentences translated into Klingon

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Fri Nov 26 08:49:26 PST 2021

Am 26.11.2021 um 16:43 schrieb SuStel:
> I'm familiar with the story. I don't think the presence of the word
> *toplIn* points to that sentence being something he translated. He also
> gave us words for /kevas, t//rillium, radan,/ not because he necessarily
> translated lines, but because he took all the made-up Star Trekky
> foreign words and gave them Klingon equivalents.

Well, I'm not saying I'm right or if it means anything, but these
examples - kevas, trillium, radan - were all things that appeared in
episodes with Klingons.

So I don't think it's right to say that he just translated "all the
made-up Star Trekky foreign words".

Marc Okrand explained in an interview that when he started with his
work, he first got all the TOS scripts in which Klingons appeared, and
he then translated anything related to those scenes, just to prepare for
the movie, of which he did not know what to translate in the first place.

Just look at one of those episodes, you'll quickly recognize a lot of
words that exist in Klingon.

(PS: this would be a fun project to make a list of words connected to
the episode in which they first appeared.)

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"