[tlhIngan Hol] {'e' qa'} "instead of" with the {qa'} bearing suffixes

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Mon Nov 22 11:00:48 PST 2021

I believe that it was explained that for the normal use of the verb {qa’} the subject is the thing that replaces the object, not the person who causes one thing to replace another, so the examples given here are erroneous. Your original use, {yan qa’chugh pu’, maQap} is grammatically complete and correct. You can always add context. Say your group presented you with a plan to attack someone with swords, your suggestion would be a good response if you wanted them to use phasers instead of swords.

You could also probably say {yanvaD pu’ DIqa’moHpu'} to mean “We replaced swords with phasers," based on {SoHvaD tlhIngan Hol vIghojmoH}, which is apparently the way to use {-moH} when added to a verb that has separate causer, subject-of-action-of-verb, object-of-action-of-verb. I may be corrected this point. It’s one of my weaker areas of Klingon grammar.

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)