[tlhIngan Hol] thoughts on lIn and bon

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Thu Feb 11 05:22:05 PST 2021

> The translation of the construction B¬vaD C {bon} A is rather strange. Example:
>
> lIrDajvaD qagh bon SuvwI'
> the warrior shares with the qagh for his owl
>
> I can't understand this. I can understand the {lIrDaj bon SuvwI'} "the warrior shares with his owl" (something unspecified), but the {lIrDajvaD qagh bon SuvwI'} is rather strange. Unless of course it's one of those "because matlh says so" times..

I think the main thing to remember is not to interpret glosses too strictly; glosses are there to help you get the basic gist of a word, rather than to be an exhaustive detailing of how it works; for that, you need to look at examples of correct usage … and fortunately, we have quite a lot of that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJUWLHcQUZU

The translation “share with” is just there to help you remember that this is the kind of sharing where there is an asymmetric relationship between the person who shares and the person who is shared with, rather than the more mutual sharing of {lIn}.

//loghaD