[tlhIngan Hol] thoughts on lIn and bon

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 05:05:32 PST 2021

During the qepHom of 2016 we were told..

­­­---begin quote­­­---
When A and B share something with each other (share some {gagh}, say), the
verb to use is {lIn} ("share") and the construction is {C lulIn A B je} (or
{C lIn A B je} if C is plural, and, again, with appropriate verb prefixes).
In this case, the speaker is noncommittal about whether A or B is the one
who decided to do the sharing with the other.
---end quote­­­---

Is this the only way we can use {lIn}? Suppose I write:

lIrDajvaD qagh lIn SuvwI'
the warrior shares the qagh with his owl

Would it be acceptable ?

Moving on.. There's something which seems strange with the {bon}. According
to matlh:

---begin quote­­­---
When A shares something (C) with B, the verb to use is {bon} ("share with")
and the construction is B­vaD C {bon} A (with appropriate verb prefixes
depending on what A and C are). In this case, C belongs to or is controlled
by A and A chooses to share it with B.
---end quote­­­---

The translation of the construction B­vaD C {bon} A is rather strange.
Example:

lIrDajvaD qagh bon SuvwI'
the warrior shares with the qagh for his owl

I can't understand this. I can understand the {lIrDaj bon SuvwI'} "the
warrior shares with his owl" (something unspecified), but the {lIrDajvaD
qagh bon SuvwI'} is rather strange. Unless of course it's one of those
"because matlh says so" times..

Dana'an
I love you maltz