[tlhIngan Hol] law' puS with the -taHvIS and type-9 clauses preceding each element

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 01:36:58 PST 2021

On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 at 17:06, Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu> wrote:

> [...]

I don't read it as saying it's a
"Maltz-said-so-special-phrase-so-shut-up-and-don't-generalize case". The
above implies that this is the grammatical and expected sentence:
{QamtaHvIS Hegh qaq law' tortaHvIS yIn qaq puS}.

The grammar of the KGT sentence is only "a bit aberrant". It doesn't sound
to me like the corrected version is particularly extraordinary. In
particular, I don't see why this parallel wouldn't be grammatical:
{SuvtaHvIS batlh potlh law' yIntaHvIS tlhuH potlh puS} "Honour while
fighting is more important than breath while living" or "It is more
important to act honourably while we fight than to draw breath while we
live." I wouldn't put a {-lu'} on the two {-taHvIS} clauses, if only
because the KGT example doesn't either.

--
De'vID