[tlhIngan Hol] do we {baH} or do we {bach} an arrow

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Aug 25 11:23:19 PDT 2021

If you want to say “pull/draw the bow [string]” use {Hur}:

Hur                                      pull,  tug (v) (qepHom 2020)
--  “refers to the action of pulling back the string of the bow but also to pulling the handle on a door to open or close the door or to pulling on someone's suspenders” (qepHom 2020)

HurDagh chuHwI'            bow (for arrows) (n) (qepHom 2020)
--  “(not a Klingon device), lit. "stringed-instrument hurler" (qepHom 2020)

HurwI'                                 bow (for arrows) (n) (qepHom 2020)
--  “short form” (qepHom 2020)

Note the use of {chuH} “throw/hurl (a spear) at” in the first word for bow.  I suppose a {naQjejHom} “arrow” is after all a small {naQjej} “spear”.

Voragh

From: tlhIngan-Hol <tlhingan-hol-bounces at lists.kli.org> On Behalf Of SuStel