[tlhIngan Hol] Dargh HIvje' jengva' je

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon May 20 04:23:43 PDT 2019

On Mon, May 20, 2019, 13:15 mayqel qunen'oS, <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> ok, listen.
>
> Recently, a little bird informed me of the tnk {Dargh HIvje' jengva' je},
> for "cup and saucer".
>
> After I thanked the bird, feeding it a few 'Iw breadcrumbs, I begun to
> wonder..
>
> Doesn't the {Dargh HIvje' jengva' je}, mean "tea, cup, and saucer" ?

In another context, it might. That's not what it means here, though.

If the intention behind the obscure {Dargh HIvje' jengva' je} is to
> actually mean "tea (cup and saucer)", i.e. "(cup and saucer) of tea", then
> how the ghe''or can the {Dargh HIvje' jengva' je} be interpreted as {Dargh
> (HIvje' jengva' je)} ?

It's intended to be parsed as {(Dargh HIvje'), (jengva') je} "(tea)cup and
saucer".

I would expect for "tea cup and saucer" to be {Dargh HIvje' Dargh jengva'
> je}.

That would be like saying "teacup and teasaucer", which is fine (if a
little redundant).

--
De'vID