[tlhIngan Hol] Dargh HIvje' jengva' je

Daniel Dadap daniel at dadap.net
Mon May 20 04:54:03 PDT 2019

On May 20, 2019, at 06:23, De'vID <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I would expect for "tea cup and saucer" to be {Dargh HIvje' Dargh jengva' je}.
>

> That would be like saying "teacup and teasaucer", which is fine (if a little redundant).

It also doesn’t prevent one from misreading it as “tea, cup, tea, and saucer”.

Punctuation can help, although, as always, since it’s not required, one shouldn’t assume that an unpunctuated list be interpreted in any particular way:

{Dargh HIvje', jengva' je} teacup and saucer
{Dargh, HIvje', jengva' je} tea, cup, and saucer

I like to joke that the Klingon version of the Oxford Comma can be used on a list with only two members.

If you don’t mind the risk of sounding like someone from the upper social classes, or like you’re speaking in an old-fashioned manner, you could also always say {tu'lum jengva' je}