[tlhIngan Hol] Verbs of measure

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Mar 25 06:21:50 PDT 2019

On 3/25/2019 9:15 AM, Daniel Dadap wrote:
> On Mar 25, 2019, at 07:48, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name
> <mailto:sustel at trimboli.name>> wrote:
>
>> On 3/25/2019 5:02 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
>>> SuStel:
>>>
>>> What is an antecedent ?
>>
>> In this context, an antecedent is a word which that appears before
>> /(ante) /a pronoun, to which the pronouns refers. /I see the captain.
>> He seems fine./ In that sentence, /the //captain/ is the antecedent
>> of the pronoun /he./
>>

> Is it established that Klingon pronouns can’t be used without an
> antecedent?

No, but I didn't say he can't say his sentence because Klingon pronouns
can't be used without an antecedent. Indeed, I didn't say he can't say
that sentence. He was pushing the boundary of what was acceptable,
because he claimed his proposed pronoun *'oH* was referring to an
antecedent *ngoDvam* that wasn't present in the sentence, but what he
was doing was functionally equivalent to using *'e'* as a subject, which
definitely /isn't/ allowed.

If you have to say it this way, just state *ngoDvam* outright and you'll
have a much stronger sentence.