[tlhIngan Hol] Verbs of measure

Daniel Dadap daniel at dadap.net
Mon Mar 25 06:15:41 PDT 2019

>> On Mar 25, 2019, at 07:48, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:
>>
>> On 3/25/2019 5:02 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
>> SuStel:
>> > However, you never established the antecedent in the first
>> > place
>>
>> What is an antecedent ?
> In this context, an antecedent is a word which that appears before (ante) a pronoun, to which the pronouns refers. I see the captain. He seems fine. In that sentence, the captain is the antecedent of the pronoun he.

Is it established that Klingon pronouns can’t be used without an antecedent? There’s an implied subject to verbs of weather like {SIS}, {SuS}, {peD}, {Heq}, {jev}, {raw}, {tuD}, etc., that never gets stated. Naturally, these are special cases, since whatever the implied subject of these verbs is, it’s not like another subject could take its place, but it does make me question whether a verb needs an explicitly stated subject (whether used directly following it, or as an explicit or implicit pronoun referring to some previous explicit antecedent) more generally.

I would probably write the second sentence as {vImerlu'}, but does it make sense with the subject in parentheses elided?: {jorpu' 'aplo'. mumer (wanI').}

Again, weather verbs are special, but what if it were something like: {SIStaH (SISwI'). mumer (SISwI'/ngoDvam).} ({SISwI'} here is whatever the implied subject of {SIS} is.)