[tlhIngan Hol] wa'leS Soj wIqel meaning

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu Mar 21 12:01:46 PDT 2019

This has to do with the linguistic topic of deixis. It has to do with “deictic references”.

The perfect deictic sentence is, “I am here now,” because anyone can say it any time, anywhere, and it is always true when they say it because deixis is an anchor in time and space. “I” refers to the person who makes the utterance, so the person saying it is both the anchor in time and space. “Am” is in the present tense, anchored in “now” and the place where I am now being is always “here". “Here” is a spacial anchor, meaning the place where the speaker is located as he or she utters the statement. “Now” is the time the speaker is saying the word, “now”.

So, if you say, “tomorrow”, that is always a set time into the future from the anchor of “now”. It’s the day after “now”.

If you say, “The next day,” then where’s your anchor? You need context to know which day you are measuring from. “Tomorrow” already has the context of “today” from which you measure “tomorrow”.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.