[tlhIngan Hol] 'Iv ghaH baHwI''e'

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 03:07:34 PDT 2019

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 at 10:43, Daniel Dadap <daniel at dadap.net> wrote:

> (As an aside, I was originally going to write {jatmeyna'} in the sentence
> above, but that violates suffix order. {jatna'mey} didn’t seem quite right,
> since {jatmey} is the name of the thing, and is already a grammar
> violation, albeit an intentional one. I’m not talking about actual tongues
> here; I’m talking about something named after tongues. Where would I put a
> type one or two noun suffix to modify {jatmey}, when reverting to the KLI
> publication that goes by that name?)

I would consider {jatmey} to be lexicalised as a name, like {qepHom'a'} for
the name of the event in Saarbrücken. However, as {-na'} is type 3 and
{-mey} is type 2, there isn't any problem with {jatmeyna'}. As for an
intervening type 1 suffix, I can't think of any context in which it would
make sense to say {jat'a'mey} or {jatHommey} or {jatoymey}, in reference to
the publication named {jatmey}.

--
De'vID