[tlhIngan Hol] natural well

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Jun 26 07:43:52 PDT 2019

On 6/26/2019 10:14 AM, Daniel Dadap wrote:
>> On Jun 26, 2019, at 05:54, mayqel qunen'oS<mihkoun at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> We have the {Daqrab} for "well", however it refers to a well which is constructed, rather a natural occuring one.
>>
>> So, how do we describe the natural occuring type ? Can we say {Daqrab but} ? Although, perhaps this would mean "natural constructed well".
> I’m not sure I know what a naturally occurring well would be in English. The English word “well” implies an artificial structure to me. Maybe a natural spring is what you’re thinking about? Maybe something like {bIQ Hal} or {bIQ QemjIq} would work for that, though obviously it would need the right context for it to be clear that this refers to a spring.

 From Dictionary.com:

    *well*

     1. a hole drilled or bored into the earth to obtain water,
        petroleum, natural gas, brine, or sulfur.
     2. a spring or natural source of water.

    [etc.]

Now, Klingon does not share sense 2 with its noun *Daqrab.* I agree that
*bIQ Hal* is a good description. I might also use *ghItwI'Hom* if it's a
spring.