[tlhIngan Hol] How would you express "root of a tree" ?

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 13:19:54 PDT 2019

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 3:36 PM mayqel qunen'oS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> Reading the above, I don't think that {'oQqar} could apply to the roots of
> a tree.

Why not? The gloss has "root" right in there. Not "root, but only one you
can eat". Not "root, but only one from a small plant".

Botanically speaking, out of the four examples we know from TNK (*'anyan
'oQqar* "onion", *gharlIq 'oQqar* "garlic", *patat 'oQqarmey* "potatoes",
and *qe'rot 'oQqar* "carrot"), only carrots are technically roots, and only
potatoes are technically tubers. Garlic and onions are bulbs. (And bulbs
and tubers are apparently modified stems. This is all very complicated.) I
don't think *'oQqar* is a very botanically-strict term.

Based on the glosses "root" and "tuber", and the four examples from Earth
vegetables, it seems like the meaning of *'oQqar* is mostly "part of a
plant that's underground and maybe you can eat it". There's no reason it
couldn't apply to a tree root.

But that's ok, since I *really* like the {wutlh Sor 'ay'mey}.

*va, **'Iq mu'meyvetlh!*