[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing "because of this additional"

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Fri Feb 22 09:30:47 PST 2019

I concede the point. Okrand has a very slippery range of use for {latlh}. Sometimes, it makes sense in terms of it being a stand-alone noun in a noun-noun genitive construction. Perhaps most often, it does make sense interpreted that way. Then again, there are times when it’s more like he just took the English phrase “other [noun]” and replaced it with {latlh [noun]} in the Klingon sentence.

It rubs me the wrong way that he does stuff like this, that makes translation easier by not being grammatically consistent with what a noun is supposed to be doing in the language with a word he has only defined as a noun. It’s like having all aliens look like humans wearing prosthetics, or like being able to breathe on every planet they land on and having Earth-like gravity on every planet they go to.

It’s a step towards sloppy translation, and it doesn’t stick to the fictional culture with grippy-enough feet. It’s just kinda ugly, making me look for alternatives, even if doing it this way is perfectly acceptable.

It’s not my standard for the list, but it is my standard for myself. I just don’t enjoy using a noun as if it were an English adjective, preserving English word order because English has a word that is both a noun and an adjective, while Klingon supposedly doesn’t. “On the other hand”. In English, “other” is not a noun.

If {latlh} were an adjectival verb meaning “be other”, then it would follow the noun it modifies.

But no. It just goes before the other noun because that’s how it happens in English. We can be that sloppy. It’s okay.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.