[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing "because of this additional"

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Feb 22 08:13:09 PST 2019

On 2/22/2019 10:54 AM, Will Martin wrote:

> It’s easy to forget that {latlh} is a noun and not quite the
> grammatical equivalent of the English word “other”. I suspect we
> overuse it when alternatives would be clearer.

Some canonical uses of *latlh* that are unambiguously not//as a
standalone noun...

    *HeghDI' tlhIngan SuvwI' pagh tlhIngan SuvwI' HoHlu'DI' Heghtay
    lulop latlh tlhInganpu'.
    */When a Klingon warrior dies or is killed, other Klingons may
    perform a ceremonial howl or yell as part of the Klingon death
    ritual./ (SkyBox S31)

    *latlh HIvje'Daq 'Iw HIq bIr yIqang!
    */Pour the cold bloodwine into another glass! /(KGT)

    *latlh HIvje'Daq 'Iw HIq bIr vIqang/
    /*/I pour //the cold bloodwine into another glass/ (KGT)

    *QIt wa’ qa’ nuD veqlargh
         QIt latlh qa’ nuD veqlargh
         Hegh lurur mInDu’Daj
    */Fek’lhr inspects them,
         One by one,
         With his deadly glance./ (PB)

    *Sepvetlh latlh DopDaq
         Hatlh lengtaHvIS qeylIS
         lutlhej tlhInganpu’ Hem mI’ nIb
    */On the other side of the land,
         Kahless traveled the lands
         With an equal number of proud Klingons./ (PB — notice the
    /other side,/ which was being talked about before)

    *vIHbe’choH latlh SuvwI’pu’
         bey HoS QoymeH
         ‘IjmeH QamtaH*/*
    *//The rest of the warriors stopped,
         They stood and listened,
         To hear the mighty howl./ (PB)

Okrand seems to be fairly free with his use of *latlh.* When modifying
another noun, it sometimes means some unspecified extra number,
sometimes it means one other, it sometimes means the next one, it
sometimes means all the remaining somethings, and it sometimes means the
opposite version of something.