[tlhIngan Hol] Is {Sal} a verb of movement ?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Feb 12 08:46:39 PST 2019

On 2/12/2019 11:37 AM, Will Martin wrote:

> Anyway, I do believe you are right and I had misremembered {bIQtIqDaq
> vIghoS}. Thanks for pointing that out. So, depending on the prefix,
> the {-Daq} is optional. I was wrong about that. I personally think
> that {bIQtIq vIghoS} is stylistically preferable to {bIQtIqDaq
> vIghoS}, since it is less ambiguous, given that there could be some
> implied course that doesn’t involve the river if you include {-Daq},
> but that’s just a personal opinion carrying no more weight than anyone
> else’s opinion.

It's not exactly optional. There is a difference: *bIQtIqDaq vIghoS* is
"somewhat redundant, but not out-and-out wrong."

So your choices are to not use the *-Daq* or to use the *-Daq* and be
somewhat redundant.

And it's not really dependent on the prefix. It's just that the prefix
makes it clear whether you're talking about an object or a noun that
comes before the object-verb-subject structure. In TKD the difference is
shown without changing any prefix: *Duj ghoStaH*/It is approaching the
ship/ versus *DujDaq ghoStaH*/It is approaching toward the ship./ Using
an example without an illustrative prefix is just harder to follow.