[tlhIngan Hol] Is {Sal} a verb of movement ?

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Tue Feb 12 08:37:53 PST 2019

You came SO CLOSE… Everything you say is correct, except that {bIQtIqDaq jIghoS} does not mean, “I come to the river. It means, “I’m in a river, and I’m following a course.” The river might not be the course. You might be midstream of a north/south river following a course from New York to Los Angeles. The river has very little to do with the course. It just happens to be where you are while you are following the course.

Anyway, I do believe you are right and I had misremembered {bIQtIqDaq vIghoS}. Thanks for pointing that out. So, depending on the prefix, the {-Daq} is optional. I was wrong about that. I personally think that {bIQtIq vIghoS} is stylistically preferable to {bIQtIqDaq vIghoS}, since it is less ambiguous, given that there could be some implied course that doesn’t involve the river if you include {-Daq}, but that’s just a personal opinion carrying no more weight than anyone else’s opinion.

charghwI’ ‘utlh