[tlhIngan Hol] heritage - legacy difference

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Aug 26 07:26:33 PDT 2019

On 8/26/2019 10:13 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> Although I m-w'd "heritage" and "legacy", I still can't understand the
> difference between them.
>
> If my father dies and leaves me a house, is this house my {quH} or my
> {'ISyar} ?
>
> The earth which will be inherited by the poor, is a {quH} or a {'ISyar} ?
>
> The culture of ancient rome, for the italians of today, is their {quH}
> or their {'ISyar} ?

Your heritage is something that comes to you out of the past. Your
legacy is something you leave behind. One person's legacy can be another
person's heritage. Although /legacy/ can be used for inherited goods,
it's more commonly used for a tradition or philosophy that one leaves
behind. A heritage can equally be applied to goods and to tradition and
ideas.

The house you inherit would be your *quH.* It might be considered your
father's *'ISyar,* but in English at least the word isn't commonly used
for material goods, though it can be in legal jargon.

How people treat the Earth now are leaving their legacy, which will be
the heritage of future generations.

The culture of ancient Rome is the Roman legacy and the Italian heritage.