[tlhIngan Hol] wam

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Aug 19 08:15:32 PDT 2019

On 8/19/2019 11:06 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> SuStel:
> > I'd probably go with 'Irgh bully, intimidate,
> > pick on, harass to express what you
> > describe. lalDanDajmo' lu'Irgh they harass
> > him/her because of his/her religion. You
> > could express the severity of this further.
> > lalDanDajmo' lu'Irgh; lutlha' 'ej lutIch.
>
> Indeed, my first choice would be {'Irgh}. But can we be certain that
> we can use it for adults, and out of a school setting ?

I don't see any reason to think it can only be used in a school setting
or only of children.

> {tlha'} is given as "chase, follow". In english, does the verb "chase"
> have a negative connotation ? Can I chase someone for a good reason
> too ? Or is it neutral, and the reason of the chase defines whether it
> is used for good, or bad ?

It's neutral. You can chase your dreams. Children can chase each other
when they play. You can drink a chaser to chase down hard alcohol. My
parents' boat is named///Chasing Rainbows./

Klingon *tlha'* doesn't seem to have any positive or negative
connotations to it. In English, /chase/ is something you actively do,
while /follow/ could be active or passive (you're being led behind
something or someone). So far as we know, Klingon *tlha'* broadly covers
both /chase /and/follow./